Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Clothing for walk animation done  (Read 1918 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Clothing for walk animation done
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »

The sprites that make up the clothes and body parts for the 8 directions of the walk cycle are now done. The below video shows 90 randomly generated characters walking at different speeds:

Watch it in HD!

It’s been a bit more than a week since I posted the last video that showed off just one direction of the walk animation. This doesn’t mean that it only took that time to create the required sprites though, as I’d cheated a little and was already well into making the remaining sprites when I posted the last video. If I add up the time used, I think it’s probably taken about 14 days of full time sprite making to create these sprites (~2050 separate sprites in total), which isn’t too bad and makes me feel that the system I’ve set up is definitely viable. I can imagine that the final six months or so of working on the full game will be all about cranking out these kinds of sprites to allow for even greater variety in character appearances.

I’ve already started work on the sprites for the running animation (the neutral position is done) and am also looking at animation and body templates for female characters. A pity it’s just 3D models and not real models – would certainly have made the task slightly more interesting… Ahem…

Shooting and impact animations are also somewhat in the pipeline – as are weapons – but I want the walk and run animations to be done and implemented in the engine for both male and female characters before I move on to that.

Lexus

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »

Not bad! If you dont mind me asking, what 3d modeling program do you use?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »

Poser for the characters and so far Blender for the furniture.