Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: The game plan  (Read 2141 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
The game plan
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »

Game planWhile the finished game is still far off into the future, I’d still like to be able to release something for you blog readers to download and play around with – and provide feedback on. I’ve received invaluable feedback and bug reports from players of my freeware game, Ascii Sector, and while Hostile Takeover won’t be freeware (and I’d thus be shooting myself in the foot by releasing the entire in-development game for free), I’d still love to be able to release something once in awhile.

My plan is to make the in-development versions of the game’s demo available for download when the game engine is running fairly stable and there’s actually something to do in the demo (mostly shooting people, I imagine!). I’m still working on the most basic stuff (currently making hundreds of sprite pieces in order to have characters not all look alike) but after that I’ll probably start working on adding some features that aren’t just about the game engine, but also about gameplay.

The full demo of the game will contain a few of the game’s starting missions and that’s what I’m currently working towards. So while the demo will function primarily as a gameplay demo for potential buyers, for me it’ll also function as a milestone in that I want the engine to be pretty much feature complete for the demo. It’ll then “just” be a matter of adding missions and assets for the full game.

It’s still a bit too early to say how far off the first alpha release of the demo is, but I hope to be able to release something at least within the next six months, hopefully sooner rather than later.

cthulhu

The game plan
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

Sweet. looking forward to it. :)

Lexus

The game plan
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

Me too!

BTW, will the final version of HT (hope you don’t mind me abbreviating the name) be released as in just one program, or will there be expansion packs available for purchase?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
The game plan
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

That’s still to be decided, but I’m currently leaning towards no expansion packs and just straight up sequels. But that’s so far off into the future that a lot of things can change before I get to that point. And it also depends on factors that are somewhat beyond my control (i.e. will the game sell?).

Lexus

The game plan
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

If Ascii Sector is any indication, hell yeah!

GLI

The game plan
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

For better sell the game should(?) has multiplayer option and could be available through services like “Steam” too. I understand! It’s a lot of work… but it’s better to plan it sooner than later.

Multiplayer for turn based game? Why not! I saw some “mod” for “UFO: Enemy Unknown”.

Lexus

The game plan
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

Steam is OK, but I always found it to be a waste of HD space…

Multiplayer sounds fun!