Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Multiple characters  (Read 2530 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Multiple characters
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »

Time for another video update on the progress of the game engine:

Watch it in HD!

There are now a bunch of NPCs running around besides the player’s character. They all still look the same, though, as I haven’t started working on different looks for characters, so I needed something to tell my character from the others, which led me to adding the destination tile marker, and then the tile over marker. The character AI is still very simple; they’ll just select a random destination tile and find a path to it. If their path gets blocked by another character, they’ll just stop, which is why you’ll see them eventually ending up in big groups. The current AI is just for testing purposes to actually have the characters move, so it will of course be improved considerably for the finished game.

Another new addition in this video is dialogue being displayed above the NPCs. Again, the dialogue in the video is just for testing purposes. Can anybody guess which movie the dialogue is referring to? :)

I’ll be working on having the characters all look somewhat different next. I’ve devised a system where the engine can randomly mix different clothing sprites and give them different colors. Characters’ skin can also be colored differently, as can their hair. So instead of making 10 different looking character sprites, I’ve split a character sprite up into different parts that can be combined and colored in a multitude of different ways. This should provide considerable variety in how characters look – if I make enough clothes/hair/hat sprites, no two characters should look completely alike.

GLI

Multiple characters
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

“Meet you in Malkovich in one hour.

Malkovich?

MALKOVICH!

Malkovich.

Hey Malkovich, think fast!

Are you John Malkovich?”

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120601/

Last time I wrote that “avatars” walked “funny” while moving their feet too much “inside”. Now I realized that they are making very small steps… like geisha (or have very BIG feet). I understand it’s somehow connected to “hexagon field” but it still looks weird.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Multiple characters
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

That was fast! :)

Yeah, when the characters walk diagonally, the distance they walk is 1. When they walk up, down, left and right, the distance is 1.4, as the diagonal of a square is 1.4 times its sides. This means I had to find a balance between steps being too long when walking the 1.4 distance and too short when walking the 1.0 distance. The alternative was to have the characters “slide” across the ground, but I hate that in isometric games and want their feet to actually stay put on the ground with each step.

GLI

Multiple characters
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

I watched it again and I’m a little confused… Is it “hexagon field” in this “construct”, or just “slanting crate”?

Google… Wiki…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagonal_tiling

Maybe for “hexagon” avatars could move… well, more equally (at least for diagonal movement which are most visible). Or maybe not. It’s not “full 3D”, right?

BTW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyY0ymMYXPo  ;-)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Multiple characters
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

Hexagons have six sides. My tiles are just standard squares.

MRClayton

Multiple characters
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

Ten points for the movie reference :)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Multiple characters
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

Hehe, thanks. It really is an amazing movie.