Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: My interpretation of Inception's ending  (Read 9983 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
My interpretation of Inception's ending
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

“Or does Cobb only dream he’s still young, like he and Mal had dreamed of themselves being young while they had actually aged fifty years?”

I think you just answered it yourself there. Saito has gotten lost in limbo. He’s forgotten that he’s in a dream. That’s what Cobb goes to remind him so that he can ‘escape’. That’s why Saito looks old – until Cobb arrives, he’s been living under the assumption that his world in limbo was real and so he believed that his body actually grew old. While Cobb knows that it’s just a dream, so his mental projection of himself isn’t old since he knows he hasn’t really grown old – all of this only takes a few seconds in the ‘real world’.

And Cobb and Mal were only old at heart (or in their souls). The fifty years they spent together was fifty years for their minds but not even a day for their physical bodies.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

It could be that Cobb did indeed create that as part of his dream world, since that’s what he wanted (dreamt about!) happening: finishing this last job and being able to walk through the passport check without being withheld. Cobb talks a lot about catharsis when they plan the Fisher job, and Cobb being able to walk off the plane and through customs is part of his own personal catharsis.

Also, I’m sure the waking up on the plane bit is included by Nolan specifically to raise doubts about such an interpretation. :)

roughy

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

Do you think that the last interpretation mentioned at this site http://www.reviewmaze.com/2010/11/inception-ending-interpretations.html could be possible?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

Well, it kinda renders the entire movie pointless. If everything was just a dream that Cobb had while flying on a plane, then what’s the point? He might as well just have dreamt that he was a cow grazing on a field (though that would probably have been a less interesting film). And if he doesn’t even know any of the other passengers on the plane (i.e. all the supporting characters), then his dream and everything he goes through likely doesn’t have any relevance to who he really is – we as the audience would have no way of knowing if the stuff he experienced in his dream had any importance to him or if it was just some weird dream he had for no apparent reason. I find the movie powerful not just because of the ideas it presents, but also because of the personal catharsis that Cobb experiences – he’s struggling with his own guilt and manages to forgive himself in the end. If he hasn’t even lost his wife in the “real” world and that’s also just something he dreamt up for no reason, then, again, what’s the point of it all?

Besides, what’s the deal with spinning the top when he gets home if everything until he woke up was just a pointless dream?