Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Ascii Sector won't start on OSX 10.9  (Read 3778 times)

MagicMagor

• View Profile
Ascii Sector won't start on OSX 10.9
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Hello,

i know AS will probably not be updated anymore but i want to let you know anyway.

I have a new Macbook running 10.9 (Mavericks). Recently i downloaded AS again and tried to play it. At first it would normaly start but trying to switch to fullscreen the game would just exit.
Now the game refuses to start at all. Or more precisly it starts and then immediatly exits again.
When i run the binary itself (asciisec inside the App-Package) i get the following console output:

Code: [Select]

asciisec[915:507] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

asciisec[915] <Error>: The function `CGSFlushWindow' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Please use `CGSFlushWindowContentRegion' instead.
     An unhandled exception occurred at $00F0AF4C :
                                                   EAccessViolation : Access violation
        $00F0AF4C
                   $002264F4
                              $00227193
                                         $0003BDA7

Apparently whatever AS used in the OSX-Package is not supported anymore on 10.9. Maybe it is a small change and the OSX-Package will be fixed.
Or somebody here knows a wrapper/emulator for carbon apps. (Apparently carbon support was droped in 10.8)

Currently i'm able to play the game via Wine, even though thanks to a wine-bug the sound is crappy so i have to play without sound. Still better than no AS at all.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Ascii Sector won't start on OSX 10.9
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
This is an issue with SDL, which Ascii Sector uses for graphics (and input and most everything else). SDL 1 is no longer being developed, so I'd have to switch to SDL 2, which would require somewhat of an overhaul of the code.

If the game ran before you switched to fullscreen mode, you can try deleting the options file so that the game will start in windowed mode again. The options file is inside the app package at data/options.txt.

MagicMagor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. So an update for this is out of the question, bad luck.

If the game ran before you switched to fullscreen mode, you can try deleting the options file so that the game will start in windowed mode again. The options file is inside the app package at data/options.txt.

I tried this but no avail. I know the game started at least once in windowed-mode but not a second time.

Will have to do with the windows-version then, hopefully the sound will work with a future version of wine.

Erik

AS not starting on Mac OS
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:56:59 AM »
So, it seems something is getting messed up on Mac OS after initial installation.

I downloaded and launched and played the game, but after completely existing the application, it will not start up again. Or actually, I can see the menu briefly flash with the Ascii Sector menu when I try to launch the game, but then it immediately exits leaving no trace about what went wrong.

I thought there would probably be some sort of error printed on the command line, and so I found the "open" command, and when trying to launch from the command line with it, you immediately get back to the shell, no error or any sort is printed.

So, this is very disappointing. Ascii Sector has a nice Indie/retro feel to it, and I would like to play it some more without re-installing it every time I want to play.

In another article that I think must be the same issue, you made the suggestion to remove data/options.txt. I tried that, but it does not change anything about the behavior.

It seems to me that this should be some sort of small fix, as the game installs and runs properly initially.  (A game I was glad to find and play, by the way - I think you did a nice job with it!)

I and other Mac users hope you will be able to figure out what is going on on Mac OSX 10.9 and resolve the issue.

Thanks,
-ej

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
I'll look into upgrading to SDL 2 this month or next. I have to upgrade for Hidden Asset anyway, since that game also has to work on OS X.

BMatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
Is this update still in the pipe? I'm on Yosemite and get this Access Violation error.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
Yeah, it's still in the pipe. It probably won't be before January, though, as both work and everything else will be pretty hectic here in December.

BMatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 05:33:31 PM »
Yeah, it's still in the pipe. It probably won't be before January, though, as both work and everything else will be pretty hectic here in December.

Awesome just curious! I had a space sim itch and this was one of my favorites. My current solution is just to leave Ascii Sector running in the background all the time, so I'll be safe until I have to reboot

Jamey

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »
I initialized this as a git repository to see everything that changes after the first open, and it's only `data/options.txt` and `log.txt`. Mysteriously, though, the game crashes even after forcing a `git clean`.

???

Jamey

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:10:55 AM »
Apologies for the double post, but you can get around this for now by keeping a base extraction of the game, which you never open, and duplicate that folder and copy your save file over... each time you want to play.