Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Any plan to continue AS?  (Read 3397 times)

EliteRifle

• Experienced
    • View Profile
Any plan to continue AS?
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:58:11 AM »
I realize Christian is tied up with things like his other game and all that, but i'm just curious to whether there are plans to continue ascii sector, or has it just been left behind? I was hoping to at least make it to the point where we can have our own fleets and, so ive heard, own our own base.
Internet Explorer, the #1 browser for downloading a better browser.

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Any plan to continue AS?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
Quote from: "EliteRifle"
I realize Christian is tied up with things like his other game and all that, but i'm just curious to whether there are plans to continue ascii sector, or has it just been left behind? I was hoping to at least make it to the point where we can have our own fleets and, so ive heard, own our own base.

HA! There is one person only who knows that... :heh:

AFAIK if Ascii Sector will be continued then not in ASCII form but as "isometric game"... if Hostile Tekaover will be commercial success... :pinch:

At least it looks like this but there is one person only who knows. Sorry... :no:
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
Yeah, if HT is enough of a success that I can continue making games, I'll be using the HT engine to make a graphical version of AS next. I was originally planning on completing the textmode version of AS first, since I thought I'd be using a lot more from AS in HT, but the graphical engine has proven too different from the textmode engine to really justify making the textmode version 100% complete first. I might add fleet and base building, though, since a lot of that will probably be pure game logic and divorced from the rendering side of things.

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
I might add fleet and base building, though, since a lot of that will probably be pure game logic and divorced from the rendering side of things.

IMHO it'll be good for HT to "finish" Ascii Sector. By "finish" I mean make it to the point where:
- all star systems are implemented (at least "- Five new systems."; including Capital where fines can be paid)
- players can build fleets
- player can build/own a base
- some bugfixing

It'll be good to have some improvements:

- Fix AI issue when a ship's path is blocked by another ship and they're flying in approximately the same direction.

- Commodity event balancing: When simulating commodity sales, take commodity events in same and adjacent systems into account (i.e. decrease amounts of commodities in systems at and adjacent to a commodity event).

Persistent ships:

- Storing information about persistent ships across systems and scenes (quest ships, wingman, bounty hunter nemesis).

- Controlling persistent ships in other systems and moving them throughout systems.

- Bounty hunter nemesis sent to kill the player if fines are high and haven't been paid in time.

Remaining stuff:

- NPCs should be able to throw grenades.

- NPCs should move away from grenades thrown at them.

- Different AI tactics for character combat instead of all hostiles always just rushing towards you.

- Be able to ask friendly ships to not attack your target (if you for example need it alive for a bounty mission).

- If you're being scanned and attempt to land or jump, a message box will tell you that you'll be fined and ask for confirmation.

- 'L'ook should list things on the ground as well as names (ship types) of landed ships.

- For "intercept cargo" fixer missions, you should be able to board the target and transfer the cargo as well.

- Medkits!

At least Medkits... :heh:

Save story/campaign for commercial version - so far it's fun without them.

Why it'll be good for HT to "finish" Ascii Sector? Well, some more people could be attracted by such (amazing?) free game and they could "discover" Hostile Takeover... :hehe:

I hope that future game ("Ascii Sector 2.5D with Graphics") will have all our suggestions and ideas... :eeeee:
Genuine Lifelike Individual

kprince

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:51 AM »
NO! NO! Ascii is an art! Keep it that way! Well I guess you can make it optional. I mean its your game. Its just that this is great that its in ASCII

I think you should let us help you the way they have people team up to help in games like Dwarf fortress. How about sending us the source codes and stuff so we can tweek it a bit.

I'm thinking of like letting us edit the map that would be great just like editing quests.

neopeius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »
I love the simplicity of this game.  I would love it if the final upgrades described upthread would be implemented.

Please? :)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
We can only cross our fingers and hope everything turns out fine for Hostile Takeover, so asciisector will receive some more love/development time.