Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: X Rebirth  (Read 5582 times)

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
X Rebirth
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Anybody buy X Rebirth? Wait! Before you do, I'm getting mixed signals from the gaming... pre-buyers out there who are progressing through the game. It reminds me of stuff I've heard from prior X games, that there is an interesting engine there but it's more of a macro level thing that not everybody can appreciate, while someone who likes things a bit smaller scale may find themselves bored or drowning in redundant, repetitive actions.

This game looks fabulous from what I've seen of the space exploration, but where it seems to stumble is when you're hanging around on stations, talking to 1 of 5 NPC models that stand in place, whom you manipulate through conversation minigames to try to get the best prices, trying to find where they are in a modular ship interior.

I dunno, I was sort of worried about the latter part when I heard about it, but the external visuals and the thought of having my own moddable ship sounded too interesting. It's often the case, hope exceeding reality. Maybe, I dunno, if it was 50 euro or whatever I might have been tempted to buy it early... Anyway, rambling. Anyone try it?

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: X Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »
I've bought XBTF three times - original German BOX version with patch to English, then English "Gold" BOX (with X-Tension), "X2:The Threat" (BOX), "X3 Reunion" (BOX) and Steam's "anniversary pack" (together with X-2 and X-3). I've bought BOX version of "X3 Terran Conflict" but actually didn't have time to play... because of "Privateer: Ascii Sector" (sic!).

Steam's "anniversary pack" was very cheap so I repeated purchase to use "no-CD" version (while I have normal BOX-ed editions).

Unfortunately, Egosoft is offering so far Steam version only. Well, in that case I'll wait for GOG version. And I can wait like... forever!

I didn't played "Rebirth" but I read "reviews/comments" of players who did and their opinions were similar: "Don't buy it! It's not worth to play..." Some mechanics of the game, poor graphics while in "walk mode" and so on.

Well, I could give it a try but not on Steam... :no:
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
I don't avoid Steam as a rule but I tend not to get stuff there unless it's ridiculously cheap and happens to be exlusive, or I have no other choice (as with Skyrim). It doesn't affect purchasing decisions so much for me, but price does. I rarely get new stuff like this, in part because these things are often massive buy-in beta tests at a rather hefty fee, but I also don't feel like I can justify purchases like that unless they're sure bets.

We've probably talked about the X series before so I won't ask you to repeat yourself. I guess if one could bypass the stations thing as an optional way to increase profit margins it would make a lot more sense to me than their seeming to be mandatory for small goods trading and hiring. Maybe other stuff too. And... no autopilot. It seems like a long-term sort of game, so I won't be trusting initial impressions so much as what people who spend a decent amount of time with it would say.

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »
Quote from: "Iltsuger"
I don't avoid Steam as a rule but I tend not to get stuff there unless it's ridiculously cheap and happens to be exlusive, or I have no other choice (as with Skyrim). It doesn't affect purchasing decisions so much for me, but price does.

The dirty trick is that Steam is RENTING ONLY games. They're not selling games... :pinch:

If/when next change of "users agreement" will occur and you'll don't agree with new regulations Steam will close and delete your account with all games. Games which require Steam activation/client to run... even if you have BOX version.

I have "Fallout: New Vegas" and "DeusEx: Human Revolution" as a Christmas gifts and I was surprised that BOX version needs Steam. I waited long to buy DLCs with 75% discount and I know I'll lost them together with Steam account if new regulation will not suit me... :@
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
Yeah, it's that kind of DRM, I know. I guess for having access to a game I might not play after I beat it, I think that's acceptable. I used to rent games all the time as a kid, but had to give it back in a week whether or not I got very far. I don't see this as too different except the makers of the game are more likely to be compensated.

Still, most of the Steam games I have were gifts; it's not really my "platform" of choice. There's a tendency toward companies to use Steam to protect their investment, while smaller quality companies don't really get that chance for a bunch of different stupid reasons.

And yeah, although Steam (and GOG) seem successful enough that they may outlive us, my gut tells me it's better to be able to control stuff. Notice that when GFWL started to collapse, companies stepped up and switched the DRM around. I see things may not be completely hopeless even if places collapse.

But, the terms of service... that goes through my mind when I watch people who are absolute Steam adherents buy up games they'll never play during those massive sales-- they're saying with their money that these sorts of draconian contracts are tolerable.

Glad GOG is popular too, although it makes me a bit sick when I see someone is uploading games from them and ADVERTISING that it was stolen from GOG, apparently missing the irony.

From what I've been able to take in with X-Rebirth so far, one of the things people complain about is having to walk around on stations, and another was how constricted the cockpit was. Saw two mods today, one that lets you interact with a station without disembarking, the other removed useless cockpit elements. I wonder if this will be a Skyrim thing, where they provide the base and users make it better. Not great, but not hopeless.

I wonder about how complicated games are getting, how many are trying to do everything, and many companies are trying to hand off development to users (which seems a bit crazy, but I guess it's better than going bankrupt). I can't tell if this is a good thing, or just some weird side effect of the popularity of crowd involvement. Or it's a symptom of the shrinking of the game "industry." Too early to tell.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
So... I wind up getting everything BUT Rebirth. Played the first and without the internet I would have never guessed how to save, or quit, or that no, it wasn't just me who couldn't reconfigure all the keys. Yeesh, guys. Still, I'll try to stick with it.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
I thought about buying the humble bundle of X-games, but there's no way I have time to play them, so unfortunately I didn't buy anything.

BTW, Elite project just updated today, a video about the art in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WmsnwNq98

making comments about this older video showing a Capital ship battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

Also, this site got a new intro video:
http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Sorry for highjacking the X-thread. I've heard they will add GNU/Linux support for X Rebirth, and that's certainly good news.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 01:55:53 AM »
Yeah, once they fix X Rebirth extra platforms will be nice :)

You're not hijacking, it's all just a version of the same Space Appreciation thread we always have.

Started the second game in the X series, X-tension. It's getting fun now, I think. Not sure how long I'll last in this one, though.

The standard version of Game Maker is free right now, by the way.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »
My dream game would be asciisector (walk on space stations/planets, turn based combat) but with randomly generated worlds like in Frontier/Pioneerspacesim, and real physics.

On the Pioneer spacesim wiki they're clear with not adding "being a person and not a ship". Maybe they'll change once the game nears completion.

In the X-games, can one walk on space stations? Leave the ship?

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
In Rebirth you can leave the ship, but it ain't that good, looking or gameplay wise from what I've seen. ASCII sector beats it, because you use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

None of the other X games let you leave in any interesting capacity. Many of them let you EVA but it's just to transfer from ship to ship.

Hell, I guess EVE will eventually do that sort of thing, but I don't know if there will be much of a point. In ASCII we get combat and interactions, but it doesn't take long to zip from person to person. What sort of things do you imagine doing when not on board a spaceship?

I like the idea of moving around inside a spaceship, organizing stuff, fixing things, talking to passengers. Stations don't seem as interesting without them being a bigger focus than most of these games can manage. The kitchen sink approach is probably overwhelming, especially since people expect voice acting and character models.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:29 AM »
I was thinking about mentioning this myself... It's like the idea of Noctis had a hi-res baby and went crazy with the possibilities.

With every idea of this type, though, I always wonder to what extent it'll be dynamic. There are still limitations on memory, and not everybody will try to make things a bit crazy, often creating patterns that, after a few worlds, will start to get old.

I hope the best for this one. Thanks for the links.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: X Rebirth, and everything else I guess :)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
And I guess, along similar lines:

http://www.mirrormoongame.com/

http://outerwilds.com/

http://en.spaceengine.org/

Haven't tried any of them yet, but the latter two have free-to-download builds.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »
Mirror Moon is much more a puzzle game than a space game. Giant Bomb did a Quick Look on it, and it looks quite amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j57N8QMaKW0

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
Cool. I guess I sort of segued into it because of the shared world thing, but yeah, whatever you explore you're sort of on the ground. IN SPACE. Like we all are, you know?