Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Defend Base missions...  (Read 2647 times)

Goliath

• View Profile
Defend Base missions...
« on: September 15, 2007, 06:37:56 PM »
I've been having a blast with the mercenary guild missions (I'm at "Dangerous" level so far) but one thing always seemed strange about the "Defend Base" missions: all allied ships on the base suddenly disappeared when you got them. This is more of a problem with Loye naval base, which is usually swarming with confeds and houses the mighty Paradigm. So my suggestion goes as follows:

The player recieves a mission to defend a base. The detail screen should give some information on current base defense levels:

"<base> has very few defenses and is in desperate need of reinforcements"
"<base> requires more ships to properly defend against <faction> attack"
"<base> could use help in fending off potential <faction> attacks.
... or something along those lines.

Then when the player arrives, there should be a few hunters or confeds or what have you scattered around, and the attacks begin, their numbers depending on base reinforcements and mission difficulty. This would make combat a little more frantic and exciting.

Thoughts?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Defend Base missions...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »
I suppose this could be done in theory...

My major concern when making it as it is now (i.e. removing all the ships normally at the nav point) was that some defend base missions would be too easy, if for example they took place at Loye Naval Base with the entire fleet hanging out there.

Having only a small amount of the normal or average amount of ships could of course balance this out somewhat. This is definitely something I'll look into with the next major version release (v0.2, probably sometime in december -- not counting smaller releases for bug fixes).

Goliath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:05:21 PM »
Yeah, I figured that'd be a problem. Too few ships, and it becomes too easy, too many and half the confederate fleet is destroyed.  

In the long run, it really isn't that important. It just seemed a little wierd.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »
Just tell yourself that the fleet at that nav point has been wiped out by the pirates/retros/Kilrathi and that's why they're asking for help. :D