Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 8262 times)

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Elite: Dangerous
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! It's alive! :D
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

At last! New, modern and better Elite Frontier! With that wast galaxy only single-player is possible... Oh, wait! What's this?

I want a game that feels more like the original “Elite” to fly, and with more rapid travel (to allow for the multi-player nature of the game) – so you travel quickly using local ‘hyperspace’ travel rather than by fast-forwarding time – but with the rich galaxy of Frontier – and more, so much more.

Multi-player NATURE of the game? Is this some kind of curse or I'm just allergic to word multi-player? I hope it's just some misunderstanding caused by my low knowledge of English language. It will be single-player, right? RIGHT...?! :?
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
HA!
I was just on my way to make the exact same post.

I just saw the link posted by GLI above on slashdot.

I've been waiting for this game soooooo long. But I don't want graphics that will make my computer melt.

I'm also very skeptical / worried about having game mechanics more like in Elite than in Frontier. I loved the correct physics of Frontier, and the awesome galaxy and star systems, with planets and all that. Too bad braben is only determined to keep one of those two amazing features from Frontier.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
I just saw the interview with David Braben here:
http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

He talks about it, initially being,  being just for the "PC" so I assume he means MS Windows.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about the prior discussion too when I saw that the phantom game Elite was going to be multiplayer too. I understand the draw, I guess it's one of the vectors to cash now, but focusing too much on MP is a missed opportunity... I like the idea of wrestling with the game universe itself, being alone in it and not relying or fearing any other completely understandable human being lurking around in the same place.

There have to be other games out there though that come close to these franchises without us having to back things we don't really want.

As to what I want? I dunno. I like games like Skyrim or whatever where I can just explore and find cool stuff, or Noctis. If Noctis has better graphics, variety, and interface I'd just play that all day. There just has to be the will, and a competent design philosophy behind it (I have both, but lack the expertise! :) ) .

I didn't play Elite a lot; my partner did, though, and managed to crash the thing by jumping to some duplicate galaxy or something way too advanced for me to understand.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
The comments section on kickstarter is the worst I've ever seen. People post every minute around the clock, and there's no way of seeing if someone replied to you or not, and who's talking to who, and you can't even search through your browser, because every 3 minutes, the comments gets shifted to a page X of Y. They really should have a forum with different sections. But I guess then you need moderators.

And people are mad that David Braben isn't updating the site three times a day.

Pretty cool though about the plans for flying through beautiful clouds on gas giants, and stuff.

Also cool that the Wing Commander/Star citizen-guy donated some to the Elite project.

Interesting site:

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
The dumb thing is that if you DO update too often, other people, like me, will stop reading your updates because it feels like attention grabbing and done for the sake of updating, not putting forth genuinely novel information.

I'm ready for the projects I already helped to fund to get finished :) All this fervor is promising but I can't really say I share it for some of these projects... the space game I want hasn't even been conceived of yet, except by me... and I think my tinfoil hat is doing pretty good at blocking people from stealing my thoughts.

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
Also cool that the Wing Commander/Star citizen-guy donated some to the Elite project.

Single-player option confirmed:
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2707

I'm ready to pledge 40 GBP but I'll wait for Amazon Payments or at least PayPal. So far I will not give full info about my credit card to another site... :no:

If there will be no improvement to payment options then Mr Braben will have big problem with his project... :pinch:

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
I thought it was on Kickstarter, why does it not have an Amazon Payments option?

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »
Quote from: "Iltsuger"
I thought it was on Kickstarter, why does it not have an Amazon Payments option?

IMHO it's something related to UK location of "Frontier Developments". So far it differs from "US version"... or Mr Braben is greedy and don't want to "share pledges".

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »
Ah, OK. Weird. I guess they found some alternative method for the UK version. For some reason I assumed AP had just expanded to the UK.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
For those unaware, there's a really cool game play video up since yesterday at the kickstarter site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gMbLjUjs1w

And today they ran out of £20 (get the game) pledges, so now i think it's £30 for a copy of the game, but quite often people upgrade from £20 making new slots available.

Although it was just revealed that if you want a rich evolving galaxy you need to connect to their server where the galaxy runs. So even for single player you kind of need to connect to internet. Then you might just as well play multiplayer?

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
Right, the new slots tactic was how I got in on Obsidian's new RPG at the low price.

I don't look at that as strictly a virtually multiplayer setup, Cthulhu, because it's more about updating the world you play in single player than having other players actively mess with your world. It's the cloud computing solution to content generation. I'm of the school, though, that a game is better if it never relies on external, ephemeral sources. If there is any online component, that may eventually be lost, invalidating the game mode (or possibly the game).

It's much cheaper than it used to be to have a server host updates and stuff, but I feel more secure knowing that I could take some game anywhere and still be able to play it as long as my OS matched up reasonably well.

I guess it's also an anti-piracy tactic, which is understandable, but I'd rather people design a game first and then worry about how it'll work in the world, rather than force cloud computing on everything just for the sake of wearing out a few would-be pirates.

Still, I'm interested in using mass audiences in content generation, so I'm not opposed to the idea :)

The video looked cool, although I guess I prefer more decisive combat, even if it means more deadly for the player. I imagine they'll have targeting assist stuff later on.

Makes me wonder if there are any good real-physics games. There's probably already discussions of that elsewhere here...

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »
Seems like they're going to have "Walk around in your ship/star base/planet" just like in Asciisector and 0x10c.  

http://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8

Is this one of those "Remember you saw it in Asciisector first!" moments?

However, it will not be part of the initial release but only as a later update. (Which one can get for free/included in the game by pledging £90).

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
I saw it in Sundog screenshots, but yeah :) I could only imagine what it was like to walk around in Star Cruiser 7.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »
Apart from the strong focus on online multiplayer, I think this could be a really awesome game.

And it will most likely be released to Mac as well, and then I hope for a Linux release as well. I assume they're using OpenGL, which would make that easier I guess then if they had used DirectX.