Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: "L" crashed  (Read 3176 times)

Apollo

• View Profile
"L" crashed
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »
Hello Christian,

I'm sorry I have to start a thread here :'(

The game crashed on base when I hit "L". The rectangle was not yet visible. If the ASCIISEC.TMP is of any help, you can download it at the usual place.

Using the old savegame worked fine, though.

I'll just try again.

UPDATE:
Now one more saving crash. TMPs are up. The saves.txt has been updated, but the actual .sav is missing.

Apollo

• View Profile
Re: "L" crashed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:15:11 AM »
Quote from: "Apollo"
UPDATE:
Now one more saving crash. TMPs are up. The saves.txt has been updated, but the actual .sav is missing.

What I forgot: If I try to load an incomplete savegame, I get a file not found error for the xx.sav, then after hitting enter that message is redrawn. Next I get "data/0.bas" not found, also twice, but then the program freezes with the error message still visible.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:07:21 AM »
I'll make the program check if the .SAV files exist before creating the Load Game menu. That should fix that problem.

When you had the 'L' crash, did it crash immediately when you hit 'L', or did it crash when you moved the cursor over a character?

Apollo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
When you had the 'L' crash, did it crash immediately when you hit 'L', or did it crash when you moved the cursor over a character?

It crashed right away. The targeting rectangle had not been drawn.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »
It crashed right away. The targeting rectangle had not been drawn.

Then it's probably got something to do with the characters on the base, just like the other bugs. The 'L' procedure draws the characters on the base before drawing the targeting rectangle.

These characters are really driving me nuts... :?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 11:08:06 PM »
HUPDATE:

Just looked at your most recent TMP. It looks like it crashed around the same area again.

What's so strange about this is that the program just stops writing in the middle of a sentence. It gives a Writeln(OutFile, WriteString) command, and instead of stopping right before or after this command, it stops in the middle of doing it. Even more strange is that the string it was writing was just a normal string containing the word '[LOCATION]'. There weren't any references to variables of any sort, so why it would crash in this particular spot makes no sense.

This is sooo odd...

Have you had any luck with running the game in pure DOS? I have this nagging suspicion that it's Windows interfering either with the file handling or the storing of variables in memory.