Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: An option to disable auto-pause  (Read 2229 times)

blue

• View Profile
An option to disable auto-pause
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
This post might seem a bit negative, but I assure you I really enjoy this game... except for the auto-pause feature.

Right now auto-pause is just annoying and it serves no purpose (at least with my style of playing). Most of the time I switch from the nav computer/bar/guild to a text editor to lookup some information (trade routes, places I want to visit on the way, things I want to buy, etc.) and I switch back immediately after. I don't want to be forced to unpause the game each time I do that.

The second thing is that it blocks my view when I want to compare imports/exports list with my shopping list (I switch to my shopping list, switch back and the screen is now blocked by the pause dialog).

And the last thing is that it stops the background music every 5 seconds which just ruins the atmosphere (yes, I switch windows quite often).

Please, give me a way to disable auto-pause. I hate it and I don't need it.

Edit: This is not urgent, because I've managed to create a workaround that disables auto-pause. Having an in-game option to do that would still be nice though.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: An option to disable auto-pause
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
I think the idea with the pause screen is so that if you want to fly a distance manually, or for some other reason want to have the game running, without using a Hotel, you have to be in the game, you can't switch and have it running in the background.

But that's just my interpretation of it.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »
You think it's an anti-scumming feature? I don't know... seems a bit excessive (it's a single-player game after all). I thought this was meant as a convenience so you don't have to pause the game manually.

Either way, I never leave the game during flight, I only switch windows if the game is already "paused" (during dialogs, ground combat, in the quine screen/navigation chart, in the merc/merchant screens, and so on) but I do it a lot. As you can see in my case auto-pause serves no purpose, that's why I'm asking for an option to disable it.

But like I said, it's not a priority - I'll make do with my workarounds ;)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
It's been a while since I played, but can't you pause/unpause with "P"?

Then it's just "Alt+TAB P" for you, and that's not that bad?

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"

Present release (v0.7.1.4) has automatic pause - when minimized the game pauses. Maybe switching to background is detected as "minimize"? I saw once such thing. But there is a bug and when Ascii Sector will be paused first then minimizing or going background will disable auto-pause.

This function was implemented probably because of some bugs when games runs longer time.
Genuine Lifelike Individual

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"

It usually goes like this:

1. Ask a fixer for a mission
2. Switch to the text editor to lookup some info
3. Switch back to the game
4. Repeat steps 2-3 a few times (I have to consider how far the mission is, how many missions I've already taken, how much time/money do I have; finally I have to write down the route/deadline/target/other information so I won't forget it).

And I do it for each fixer in a bar, which means in a span of maybe 4-5 minutes I have to unpause the game dozens of times and my headphones go silent each time...

I disabled auto-pause completely and the game is so much more enjoyable. I can relax and listen to the music while I plan my next move ;) Maybe I'm weird, but auto-pause really interferes with my style of playing.