Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Comments: The future of Ascii Sector  (Read 15206 times)

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
Re: Comments: The future of Ascii Sector
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »
Well its possible Grant was named after the King in the Odyssey.

How about the Achilles? I like that...

EDIT:
I just had a thought, how about renaming the Retros the Knights of the Rusty Circuit? Lol...
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 11:53:35 PM »
Quote from: "VincentFirePony"
I just had a thought, how about renaming the Retros the Knights of the Rusty Circuit? Lol...

... from planet "Corrosion"! :lol:
Genuine Lifelike Individual

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 12:09:07 AM »
All Hail Commodore 64!!! :eeeee:
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

floundericiousWA

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 12:11:17 AM »
Well I seriously doubt EA owns the rights to the name Centurion, American Express uses it also. Orion is a constellation been named that for centuries.

But I can see what you mean.

How about names like Isis, Osirus, Apollo, Hades, the Zeus!!!

:heh:  yeah, but Orion, Centurion, Galaxy, Demon, Talon, etc. used in context in a privateer-like space exploration/fighting/trading sandbox game....puts those names in a direct context to a copyrighted body of work

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 12:18:28 AM »
Quote from: "floundericiousWA"
 yeah, but Orion, Centurion, Galaxy, Demon, Talon, etc. used in context in a privateer-like space exploration/fighting/trading sandbox game....puts those names in a direct context to a copyrighted body of work

Sigh... I suppose... Time to think of new names then like in my previous post

Lexus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 02:08:16 AM »
I wish I had a commodore 64, unfortunately before my time....
How does it work, is it cool? What games could you play on it?  :eeeee:  :eeeee:

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 03:13:14 AM »
I had a Commodore 64 when I was like 10 or 12. Got it at a garage sale. Wish I'd known, REALLY known what it was I would've kept it with all these years...  :'( sigh.. There were a bunch of games for it some of the other guys would know...

EDIT:
Did Commodore 64s run BASIC?

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
Well I seriously doubt EA owns the rights to the name Centurion, American Express uses it also. Orion is a constellation been named that for centuries.

I think millennial would be a better estimate.
(Is millennium spelled like that?)

There are several C64 emulators out there, and games to run in them.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
Copyright law isn't so strict, otherwise you couldn't have references at all.  But making a commercial game with a significant portion of intellectual property is harder to defend.  Don't know about all the different countries' copyright law, either.

Regardless, slipping the bonds of a fan project and striking out on one's own is more fun in my book, anyway.

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »
Quote from: "Iltsuger"
Copyright law isn't so strict, otherwise you couldn't have references at all.  But making a commercial game with a significant portion of intellectual property is harder to defend.  Don't know about all the different countries' copyright law, either.

Different countries law? EA is from USA so they at least will block selling of the game in US. But I think they will not stop with it... :no:

Quote from: "Iltsuger"
Regardless, slipping the bonds of a fan project and striking out on one's own is more fun in my book, anyway.

Yeah, right. For me it looks strange too... but CK is the only one coder/programmer of this project and we're just "beta testers". Well, in this way it's much better than paying for OS and waiting for service packs with "new" functions. :?

floundericiousWA

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
Quote from: "Lexus"
I wish I had a commodore 64, unfortunately before my time....
How does it work, is it cool?

No, in fact, it was quite hot!!  Keep your coffee warm on top of it while playing!

;-)

It was a simple computer system which had many fine games and is generally held in a fond remembrance for those games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

It was a perfect example of what computing life could have been if not for the Microsoft-alypse

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "GLI"
Different countries law? EA is from USA so they at least will block selling of the game in US. But I think they will not stop with it...

NOOO!!! I live in the USA!!! Damn them!!!

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
Quote from: "GLI"
Different countries law? EA is from USA so they at least will block selling of the game in US. But I think they will not stop with it...

NOOO!!! I live in the USA!!! Damn them!!!

Easy up, man! Don't take it out of context and don't forget about my "poor English" (lack of some "future tense"). I mean if CK will use "Wing Commander: Privateer" IP for commercial game without permission then EA could "send lawyers". Is it clear now?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm precisely phasing out the Wing Commander: Privateer elements so this won't be a problem. And remember, I'm phasing out these elements from the free Ascii Sector game -- the graphical, commercial version will be even further removed with the ships looking nothing like Wing Commander ships and stuff, so that definitely shouldn't be a problem.

floundericiousWA

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »
FWIW, Christian, I could care less if they look like the Priv ships.  I think striking out on your own opens up some significant opportunities to improve on the model.

I'd love to have the option to buy light fighters like the (ex) Talon.  The variety of ships available for purchase could be significantly larger.

It'd be cool to have a ship large enough to have its own fleet of light fighters associated with it...my very own carrier! :-)