Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: About probabilities to hit in combat  (Read 2696 times)

ardiccari

  • Experienced
  • *****
  • Posts: 112
    • View Profile
About probabilities to hit in combat
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
When you're having a fight on foot with someone and try to hit/kick/stab/etc. your opponent, you can see a probability presenting the chance that you actually hit. CK, if you don't mind me asking, how is this probability calculated? Especially, if your opponent blocks your hit, was that a hit, that was blocked, or is it equal to a miss? I mean, if my chances to hit are for instance 80%, does that mean, that most likely 4 tries from 5 succeed and one will be a miss OR blocked hit? Or is it that 80% of tries succeed, minus chance of getting blocked?

This sometimes bother me greatly when having a miss-miss-blocked-miss-combos early in the game  :heh: I hope you understand my question, it's complicated  :$
And that\'s how I roll.

Lexus

  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 541
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
I also wondered this. Sometimes I attempt to roundhouse kick a gun out of someones hand, and even though its 90%, I get blocked.

(Then I get angry and blow their head off!)

VincentFirePony

  • Ace
  • *****
  • Posts: 1236
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:05 PM »
So you try a Chuck Norris, then a Rambo?  :eeeee:
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Christian Knudsen

  • Administrator
  • Ace
  • *****
  • Posts: 3099
    • View Profile
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
When you do a melee attack, the code first checks if it's a miss. If not, it then checks if the attack is blocked. The percentage shown is the chance of both things not being true (i.e. it's not a miss and it's not blocked). So, if there's a 25% chance that it'll be a miss (75% chance that it's a hit) and a 45% chance that it'll be blocked (55% chance that it won't be blocked), the percentage shown will be (75/100) * (55/100) * 100 = 41% chance of being a successful attack (rounded down).

The higher your melee skill is, the higher the chance that it won't be a miss. The lower the target's speed is, the higher the chance that it won't be blocked. And if you have damage on the limb you're attacking with, the lower your chance of a successful attack will be.

Lexus

  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 541
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »
oh, ok, that answers some things...

(VFP: Lol, but more of a jackie chan then the terminator)

VincentFirePony

  • Ace
  • *****
  • Posts: 1236
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
Quote from: "Lexus"
(VFP: Lol, but more of a jackie chan then the terminator)

 :eeeee: Jackie Chan :eeeee: one of the best actor/martial artists IMO

He definitely won't Be Back... :eeeee:  :eeeee:  :eeeee:
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

ardiccari

  • Experienced
  • *****
  • Posts: 112
    • View Profile
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply, CK! Now back to making a gamble out of fist fights  :eeeee:
And that\'s how I roll.

Pellaeon

  • Experienced
  • *****
  • Posts: 126
    • View Profile
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:47:40 PM »
Quote from: "VincentFirePony"
Quote from: "Lexus"
(VFP: Lol, but more of a jackie chan then the terminator)

 :eeeee: Jackie Chan :eeeee: one of the best actor/martial artists IMO

He definitely won't Be Back... :eeeee:  :eeeee:  :eeeee:


My favorite is Bud Spencer. He's like an invulnerable tank. :D
When a retro speaks to God, he\'s praying, but when God speaks back to him, he has schizophrenia.

Seeing my name mistyped makes my skin crawl - just call me Pell.

VincentFirePony

  • Ace
  • *****
  • Posts: 1236
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »
Quote from: "Pellaeon"
My favorite is Bud Spencer. He's like an invulnerable tank.

Who?
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Cthulhu

  • Ace
  • *****
  • Posts: 1373
    • View Profile
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »
Oh, we're going off topic already? Let me help:
happening of the year: The expendables.
Only Van Dame and Steven Seagal is missing (and yes, Arnold has a small appearance in this movie :)).

GLI

  • Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
  • *****
  • Posts: 1153
    • View Profile
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
Oh, we're going off topic already? Let me help:
happening of the year: The expendables.


Arnold's character about Sly's character:
"- Give this job to my friend here. He loves playing in the jungle, right?"
 :lol:

Quote from: "Cthulhu"
Only Van Dame and Steven Seagal is missing (and yes, Arnold has a small appearance in this movie :)).


I'm afraid that Mr. Seagal didn't want to play in it because he couldn't be "a bright shining star" in this movie... :pinch:

And Mr. Van Dame is a little bit tired of action movies (see his movie: "JCVD"). :D
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Cthulhu

  • Ace
  • *****
  • Posts: 1373
    • View Profile
Re: About probabilities to hit in combat
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
Quote
And Mr. Van Dame is a little bit tired of action movies (see his movie: "JCVD").

Right, and the way that movie ended suggests he's "unavailable" at the moment.