Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Comments: The future of Ascii Sector  (Read 12982 times)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Comments: The future of Ascii Sector
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
Stuff like the Kilrathi and Retros will sadly have to go, and I understand if players and fans of the game will become upset over this. What you'll be getting in return, though, is an original setting and game universe that still feels like the game you all currently play, but is able to go in new and different directions.

I think it might take some getting used to, but I'll manage, and I think most of us will. We wouldn't want you to get you in to any sort of trouble just to keep on calling the "kilrathis", "kilrathis".

I'm excited about all of this and I hope you are too!

Yeah, sounds pretty cool, I thought you were pursuing a career in movies but looks like you're more into programming. I hope things work out for your new project. :)

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Comments: The future of Ascii Sector
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »
I may be in the minority, but I'm excited about the possibility of breaking from Privateer.  A lot of my posts, I guess, went in that sort of direction, where I admired Privateer for what it accomplished, but wanted the engine not to be held back by sticking with the conventions Privateer laid out.

We've already seen that with all the ground missions and boarding, equipment and expanding star systems.  What this'll mean, though, is that we may no longer be limited to the ships, enemies, weapons, and mission structures of Privateer.  

It may never happen, but imagine being able to design your ship according to class, with more customizable features than currently allowed, or new ship equipment that will change gameplay in interesting ways.  There could be, say, more and varied enemies than just the standard groups we've come to expect, and because of this, we may see different alliances, and faction progress with them may matter more.

That latter part is especially intriguing, as it means we'll sort of be discovering the universe all over again, which is sort of what makes me excited about science fiction in the first place, that sense of discovery.  For narrative possibilities and mission building that's indispensable to me, because it means I wouldn't have to stick with the established groups anymore, and all the expectations we've had for them.  Imagine that the new release would mean a new alien race, with new faction potential, and a chance to build up enough trust with them to be able to trade with them safely, opening up economic opportunities, as well as new mercenary goals!

With the restraints off, this could mean a bunch of different missions and human factions, too, opening up the field immensely.

Naturally, if you're not into it, you can keep old versions of the game and run them in parallel, or exclusively, so there's not a whole lot to lose either way, and a bunch to gain.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »
Wow, welcome back! Haven't seen you here in a while.
Imagine that the new release would mean a new alien race, with new faction potential, and a chance to build up enough trust with them to be able to trade with them safely, opening up economic opportunities, as well as new mercenary goals!

Yes, that would be very cool. I understood it as it would simply be a name change, but it would be cool if there was even more changes in the direction you suggested.

I wonder if Asciisector will see further development after the 1.0 release, and if features/experience from the new game from "Laserbrain Studios" will get ported back into Asciisector, so there'll be a synergy effect?

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
Thanks.  I've been around, but have been concentrating on other things for a while.

Probably would be synergy, as long as it seems to fit.  I imagine there was some influence on the tactical, turn-based stuff that probably served as a test run for the new project.

And when I say alien races, I don't mean to limit things.  All factions could easily be humans, and this could go in a transhumanist direction.

OneoftheLost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
:|

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

One the one hand, its very exciting. I keep telling myself that more joinable factions will become available. (Hullo Navy/Bounty/Pirate missions.) with lots more features and hopefully new ships!

On the other... I feel that Christian will eventually just re-work the whole thing. Once you take out a few things (Kilrathi etc etc.) He will probably feel the need to remove everything, to the point where planets, stations, etc etc etc are renamed, with new features (i.e. mining) and all these features that modern space sims have implemented.

I think in the end, while it may be a good thing, it will take considerable time before Ascii Sector is free of the 'Privateer' completely.

I am very interested either way.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
I thought you were pursuing a career in movies but looks like you're more into programming. I hope things work out for your new project. :)

Yeah, I'm still working on some movie stuff and got a screenplay out and about, but I think I'm beginning to grow tired of the slow pace that everything moves at in the movie business. Working a year on a fifteen page screenplay for a short film that went through about 12 drafts and in the end the director just seemed to lose interest in it kinda wore me down. What I like about programming and game making is that I can tell pretty much any story I want -- I just have to program the world in which to tell it. I'm not dependent on a director or studio being interested in my 100 million dollar sci-fi idea. :D

Quote from: "OneoftheLost"
On the other... I feel that Christian will eventually just re-work the whole thing. Once you take out a few things (Kilrathi etc etc.) He will probably feel the need to remove everything, to the point where planets, stations, etc etc etc are renamed, with new features (i.e. mining) and all these features that modern space sims have implemented.

I can promise you I won't. The bases will stay the same as all their names are original and the different base types isn't part of the Wing Commander IP (I doubt EA will sue me because I have a "Mining Base" in my game!). The game will mostly stay the same -- it's just the stuff that's most obviously part of the Wing Commander IP that I can't and won't use anymore.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
And now for something completely different(but really not)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
As posted in Announcements

CK has been planning and started working on a commercial (and graphical) version of AS!

Thats really cool IMO. He's working both on our favorite game and the new graphical one side by side, so they will be sister games I imagine. Although it means that the "Privateer" aspect of AS will be phased out of both games.
Which is understandable since EA still owns the rights to the Wing Commander games so things like Kilrathi and Retro will have to be phased out, maybe replace Retro with "Fanatic" and Kilrathi with... well something similar to Kilrathi but NOT named Kilrathi.

I for one wish CK the best of luck in this endeavor of being able to make a profit from his programming skills and look forward to releases of the .7 series of our beloved AS.

FLEETS!!!
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »
Thanks!

But just to be clear, the commercial game I'm working on now is not the graphical version of Ascii Sector. It's its own thing, but it'll use the ground combat code from Ascii Sector and will be a step on the path to the graphical Ascii Sector game.

(Oh, and I merged your post with the already existing thread.)

ardiccari

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
It's great that the ground combat-engine has more use now, IMO it's a very good system. I've played couple of roguelike games, and I always felt that player should have more control over the combat situations - exactly like in AS.

You have a very potential customer here for your new games ;)
And that\'s how I roll.

Lexus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »
I hope even though it is not called privateer, it still retains some 'privateer'-like elements... :?  I like what vegastrike did to the kilrathi and retros.

Retros= Luddites

Kilrathi= Aera (something like that)

Also there was another one, which I forgot the name of. Started with a G i think... (IMHO AS is already better than VS (vegastrike))

By the way, what hosting services do you use for AS?

EDIT: BTW: You have made a absolute addicted fan of me  :eeeee:

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Quote from: "ardiccari"
It's great that the ground combat-engine has more use now, IMO it's a very good system.

Indeed it is. Until Hostile Takeover comes out, you might want to sneak a peek at X-com UFO. It's very similar. :)

floundericiousWA

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
As the mercenaries guild chick says:

"go get'em tiger!"

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »
Quote from: "Lexus"
By the way, what hosting services do you use for AS?

A Danish company called Surftown.

Lexus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
Thank god for Google translate and Google chrome... Or else I couldn't of read anything on that website.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
But just to be clear, the commercial game I'm working on now is not the graphical version of Ascii Sector. It's its own thing, but it'll use the ground combat code from Ascii Sector and will be a step on the path to the graphical Ascii Sector game.

Yeah I stopped over at your other website and I'm really excited, I love the Syndicate series (ironic that syndicate is also an EA game) I played a little bit of it last year, kinda got confused, but its awesome and if its like syndicate with the turn based system, it will be that much better...

(Oh, and I merged your post with the already existing thread.)

I saw that :lol:
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V