Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Fleet tactics  (Read 26487 times)

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet tactics
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
If we are to transfer people on to other ships we need to be their superior, so we need a military rang right? Like "Fleet Admiral" or something. :)

I'm against any "military" ranks. I'm privateer and for my "operators" I'm The Boss. If they want "ranks" they should join "The Navy"... IMHO. :heh:
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Bugamn

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »
Custom ranks?
It came from ... behind.

Lexus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
I have to kinda agree with gli, as long as they are ready to die for "The Boss"" :eeeee:

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
Yeah, I guess our own fleet will be a mishmash of various half rundown ships, and not a part of the Confed faction. More like Hunter. My rank would be "Boba fett". :)

I... I just want some cool ascii-art medals, that's all. (we discussed that last summer I think, as a quest reward)

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 07:24:38 PM »
Traditionally a Privateer is a sailor and ship commissioned by a King or Queen to commit acts of piracy.

So in the case of our game I would agree no military ranks. However we are the captains of our starships, so our "crew" (operators, boarders, etc) could follow maritime tradition. (first mate, crewmen, etc)
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Lexus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:41 PM »
I know, but 'privateer' in the game is not exactly legal. (Just because i have a short crime record doesnt mean im legal!  :D )

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
Right, which is why I said traditionally.

I've kinda embraced a privateer-y play style, hence my criminal record is long  :heh: but half the charges are accidental (jumping/landing just as a confed/militia starts a contraband search, friendly fire and accidental rammings, and some carelessness like leaving corpses in the ship).

Unless once we can amass a fleet we become a private force (mercenaries) maybe you could be bestowed rank (commander, boss, captain, what have you).

EDIT
Thinking about it just now, it would be interesting if, in addition to possibly having a governor on bases (bases large enough to need them I mean), we could curry favor with said governing individual (bribery, or a kind of favor system) and procure a Letter of Marque so we could privateer.

Now the Letter of Marque could cost (maybe 20K-30K) and only cover certain types of privateering (smuggling certain types of contraband, or maybe a souped up "X is flying from Y to Z in X system destroy them and bring me cargo")
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
Quote from: "VincentFirePony"
Traditionally a Privateer is a sailor and ship commissioned by a King or Queen to commit acts of piracy.

So in the case of our game I would agree no military ranks. However we are the captains of our starships, so our "crew" (operators, boarders, etc) could follow maritime tradition. (first mate, crewmen, etc)

Theoretically it is possible that space ships could have "sails". Hopefully P:AS hasn't such "things"...

If player will be able to hire crew then their ranks should be taken from present seafarer's professions and ranks. With a little addition of "turret gunner"... :eeeee:

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
Quote from: "Lexus"
I know, but 'privateer' in the game is not exactly legal. (Just because i have a short crime record doesnt mean im legal!  :D )

Privateering is legal when you'll attack only enemies of your country (i.e. Terran Confederation). IRL it was banned in 1856.

In P:AS I'm legal privateer because I'm hunting Pirates, Retros and Kilrathies only.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »
Quote from: "GLI"
Theoretically it is possible that space ships could have "sails". Hopefully P:AS hasn't such "things"..

Lol well a starship might have solar sails (see: Star Wars Ep 2 or 3)
But its mainly a tradition to keep those old nautical terms (see: Star Trek).

A starship still has a fore, aft, port and starboard side. There is still a captain and a first mate (Number One from TNG)

I bet the Confed Navy still uses the traditional Navy rank structure.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »
In P:AS I'm legal privateer because I'm hunting Pirates, Retros and Kilrathies only.

"TECHNICALLY" :eeeee: you're self proclaimed Privateer. I kinda hope CK implements Base Governors and Letters of Marque I spoke of in another thread today. Then we could get some REAL Privateering on! Lol

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 10:10:29 PM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
If we are to transfer people on to other ships we need to be their superior, so we need a military rang right? Like "Fleet Admiral" or something. :)

There is already proper list of military ranks for P:AS. ;)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »

Have you seen any suns/stars in asciisector?   :D

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Theoretically it is possible that space ships could have "sails". Hopefully P:AS hasn't such "things"..

I mean IRL "solar sails". Wait! Japanese already launched such ship - IKAROS. :blink:

A starship still has a fore, aft, port and starboard side.

Only in 2D game. Space is 3D (+ time as 4th dimension) so space ships has "top&bottom" too: The Enemy's Gate Is Down! :hehe:

There is still a captain and a first mate (Number One from TNG)

I bet the Confed Navy still uses the traditional Navy rank structure.

Like I wrote in previous post it looks like they have... :heh:

"TECHNICALLY" :eeeee: you're self proclaimed Privateer. I kinda hope CK implements Base Governors and Letters of Marque I spoke of in another thread today. Then we could get some REAL Privateering on! Lol

In year 2671 Terran Confederation isn't at war with any other "country" so Letter of Marque shouldn't be signed by anybody.

It is allowed to hunt, board and loot criminals (Pirates), rebels (Kilrathi) and terrorists (Retros). Isn't it "privateering"?

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
[Previously on Development Updates]

Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
I've made it so that fleets will ignore single hostile ships unless they attack them or are part of another fleet. Fleets will only attack other fleets (unless provoked). This means that you'll still be able to land at pirate bases, for example, as any pirate fleets won't attack you unless you attack them. The randomly generated pirate ships will still attack you, so it'll probably be pretty much as hard/easy as it is now.

Another thing. Since P:AS v0.7.x ships will be "persistent". Will they have persistent "memory" too?

Let's assume that I'll attack particular fleet and even destroy some of its ships and then I will escape (without destroying whole fleet). Will "fleet" remember my previous doings? Will they attack me when we'll met another time?

Maybe fleet commander could be able to send (by hire) some hunter(-s) after us? I mean ship(-s) from their faction but "outside of fleet".