Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Improved navigation  (Read 11996 times)

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Improved navigation
« on: May 09, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
[Previously on Current Development]

Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
I took a break from the quest stuff today and improved the navigation and sector maps

Well, maybe it's good occasion to improve Quine's "nav maps". Right now we can't "view" other system when we're looking at Qiune's maps or even when in space (form ship's navigation). It'll be good to have such option.

You now click-and-drag the map around and when you click on another system, a course is automatically charted[cut]

Does it mean that we will no longer need to set "manually" nav points after each jump? You know, if we set course with "new method" then every nav point to reach (for jump) will be automatically "chosen". Maybe with destination if we "point" planet/base/nav-point not just system...
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.daniel.peranoranch.com
Re: Improved navigation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
I'm all for better nav maps in the Quine...

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »
GLI: Yes, to all that. And it's not just the map in the Quine, it's the map on the nav computer as well. So you can set your course while still on the ground in your Quine and it'll be set in your nav computer as well.

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
GLI: Yes, to all that. And it's not just the map in the Quine, it's the map on the nav computer as well. So you can set your course while still on the ground in your Quine and it'll be set in your nav computer as well.

:D Yhyhy! I'm waiting for next release... but don't haste, make it good. :hehe:

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Cool so that's coming out in the next release?
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »
Yeah, probably already Tuesday or Wednesday, as there were some kinda serious bugs that I've fixed as well.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »
Sweet. I've been wanting a  way to just choose my destination and go for a while.
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
Yeah, probably already Tuesday or Wednesday, as there were some kinda serious bugs that I've fixed as well.

Awesome!  :D Looking forward to it...

floundericiousWA

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:19:54 AM »
That sounds awesome chris!

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »
GLI: Yes, to all that.

Well, not all. I understand that it's not a bug but it'll be good to have possibility of view in other systems' maps while in space mode.

Right now we can't view other system's map while in space. I propose to change "Sector map" button to double function: "Sector/system" (something like for "Ignore new contacts"). For navigation ship's NavCom should have (at least) the same function like Quine... :?

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
Or, for example:

I need to get from Hoopers Hope to New Frankfurt. So in my Quine I click on Vortex Prime (or maybe its already highlighted) and then I drag the sector map up to New Frankfurt system and click on it, then click the system selector so I can finish off the flight plan by clicking on planet New Frankfurt. And from there I just follow the radar to New Frankfurt.

EDIT:
Ok I can do that in the Quine but not on the Nav Computer in the ship.

EDITx2:
Maybe it could be as simple as taking the Current System Map button and splitting it into Current and System Map buttons

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:53:52 PM »
Quote from: "VincentFirePony"
EDITx2:
Maybe it could be as simple as taking the Current System Map button and splitting it into Current and System Map buttons

Better not. "Current System Map" is like emergency call ("OMG! Where I am?!") and it should be single function button. "Sector/System" button could switch us between sector's view and selected system's view.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »
Possibly. Maybe have it work just like the Quine, select the system you're not in and press the button and it will bring up the other system.

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
[Previously on Gameplay]

Quote from: "Bugamn"
Quote from: "RussellSprouts"
I was actually in the wrong system. Haha. That was smart of me. Thanks for the help!

Tip: Mission Nav Points appear as red in the NavMap.

Right... but only when such nav-point isn't marked/targeted. :pinch:

CK: Maybe it could be changed since some next release? I mean different color for marked/targeted nav-points where we have mission.

For Quine too... because right now we can't see ("red") nav-point with mission even in the same system.

Well, maybe different color for systems with mission(-s) on "Sector's Map" too... :heh:

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 05:51:33 AM »
I like GLI's ideas on the GUI layout...