Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: 'A Lady in Trouble - Part 2' by Quaker2k9  (Read 11430 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
'A Lady in Trouble - Part 2' by Quaker2k9
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
Download

Description: Sequel to "A Lady in Trouble." If you've enjoyed the first part, then you'll probably like this one too. Having finished the first part isn't mandatory, but recommended.

Difficulty: Hard

(The difficulty is based on completing the quest in a well-equipped Centurion.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:08:02 PM by Christian Knudsen »

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
Re: 'A Lady in Trouble - Part 2' by Quaker2k9
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 04:31:15 PM »
Just checked it and everything works fine now  :D

Hope you guys will have as much fun playing this one as I've been having writing it.

Thanks to Cthulhu for testing and Admin for making some last-minute improvements.
Retros tick me off!

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:00:10 PM »
This is top notch!

I love the story, it's really well done. You can tell a lot of work has gone into this. Most excellent!

The character dialogue is definitely the most advanced I've seen in a quest so far, and the use of the Quine in the beginning was really imaginative.

(Do I have to ask the unavoidable question: Will there be a part three?)

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote from: "Cthulhu"
The character dialogue is definitely the most advanced I've seen in a quest so far

Well that's probably because it's mostly stolen ;) Well maybe not exactly, but in the scene on the station, there's the "stupid robot stereotype" and the rest of it is references to the 'castle' act of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, one of my all-time favourite adventure games.

These dialogues almost write themselves... As you certainly know, the time-consuming part about quest-writing is not the dialogues but testing stuff and balancing until it actually work.

(Do I have to ask the unavoidable question: Will there be a part three?)

Not sure, if I have the time and some ideas for missions/scenes that I consider original or funny, maybe. I certainly enjoy toying around with this. The story does have room for another part, the villain still lives and it's been said that the stupid robot has a brother...
Retros tick me off!

Brokenstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:57:41 AM »
This is top notch!

The character dialogue is definitely the most advanced I've seen in a quest so far, and the use of the Quine in the beginning was really imaginative.

+1

This is the best quest I've ever played.  :D

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.daniel.peranoranch.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:40:21 AM »
This quest is great! Apparently I need to re-play it though, as I never found anything about a robot... that must have been the exterminator I blew away.

Please make a part 3!!!! You have things set up perfectly for it! The villain is still on the loose, Bianca is getting friendlier, and the story is just too good to end so abruptly...

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:28:50 PM »
Quote from: "Flyboy"
Apparently I need to re-play it though, as I never found anything about a robot... that must have been the exterminator I blew away.

So you shot the target right after landing on the station and then ran away? That's a way of doing it, too. You're missing some information this way but you still identified the target, figured what "XT Project" stands for... some strange guy carrying a weapon... Well the graphics isn't that good so you couldn't see that he's not human from the distance   :D

Just so that it's spelled out: You can avoid having to use any ground-combat weapons in this quest. And there is also a way to avoid having to fight / outrun the confeds after you take off from the station.
Retros tick me off!

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »
Yeah, I managed to get the "confeds" to let me go when I took off. The way the fight worked out for me, ol' Sarge gives me the run-around, all the guys jump me, I set off a smoke grenade and use the smoke cover to defend myself, then I get out in the open and shoot the exterminator.

That was such a fun quest, I think I'll replay it.

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:44 PM »
Quote from: "Flyboy"
Yeah, I managed to get the "confeds" to let me go when I took off. The way the fight worked out for me, ol' Sarge gives me the run-around, all the guys jump me, I set off a smoke grenade and use the smoke cover to defend myself, then I get out in the open and shoot the exterminator.

Oh, interesting. When the guard comes to talk to you, the dialogue branches into different ways. There are two ways to make him leave you in peace and a number of ways to make the guards attack you (if you choose a wrong answer).

If you've managed to make the guards let you be, you have all the time in the world to examine the Exterminator and talk to him...

PS: If you don't feel like figuring out what's the right answer, you can also force-end the dialogue by simply pressing esc. This way the chat gets aborted and no consequences are triggered. This "feature" doesn't matter too much in this quest, but I can think of situations in stories where this would be a bit unfortunate. Maybe Admin could think about adding something like a "no-premature-quit" function to tag certain dialogues with at some later point in the development?
Retros tick me off!

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
Ok, cool. Thanks for the tips.

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »
Good quest. Even better than the first. I had to be a bit sneaky with the on-ground battle this time around. I like how you can avoid battles if you want. I couldn't figure out how to make the game recognize that I had a certain item in my inventory at the end... I even looked through the source. Oh well, it doesn't matter.

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:47 PM »
Quote from: "Windmill_Man"
Good quest. Even better than the first. I had to be a bit sneaky with the on-ground battle this time around. I like how you can avoid battles if you want. I couldn't figure out how to make the game recognize that I had a certain item in my inventory at the end... I even looked through the source. Oh well, it doesn't matter.

TRIGGER
      Event : ItemAcquired : Panty (ruined)
      Result : Variable : Panty : 2
   /TRIGGER
   TRIGGER
      Event : ItemLost : Panty (ruined)
      Result : Variable : Panty : 0
   /TRIGGER
   TRIGGER
      Event : ItemAcquired : Panty
      Result : Variable : Panty : 1
   /TRIGGER
   TRIGGER
      Event : ItemLost : Panty
      Result : Variable : Panty : 0
   /TRIGGER

...then set different dialogue for different values of the variable.
Retros tick me off!

EliteRifle

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »
I loved it 5/5

So flyboy actually managed not to get the "lucky charm" ruined? or does that happen either way?
Internet Explorer, the #1 browser for downloading a better browser.