Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Equipped weight AND inventory/backpack weight?  (Read 3874 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Equipped weight AND inventory/backpack weight?
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
So I'm working on weight for equipment and the backpack. I'm currently thinking of a system where you can carry up to a max weight in your backpack before you become overburdened and can't move. That's like it is in most RPGs, I believe. However, I'm also thinking of having the weight of your equipped equipment affect your overall speed (for moving and in combat), so that the heavier equipment you've got equipped, the slower you'll move and the easier you'll be to hit in combat. This means, for example, that you'll have to choose between heavy and sturdy body armor or light and less effective. What are your thoughts on such a system? Is it too confusing to have both an inventory/backpack weight (that can be overburdened) and an equipped weight (that affects your speed and defensive values)?

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Equipped weight AND inventory/backpack weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
Oh, that's a tough one.
The way I see it, rifles are already slow, since they are heavier... or will this non-backpack weight only affect my movement, from tile to tile, and not my throwing/stabbing/kicking speed/(Time Units)?

I don't know, I'll have to think. Generally, keeping thing simple is usually preferable.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
I was thinking it would only affect your movement speed from one tile to another and your ability to dodge/block a melee attack...

What I like about the idea is that equipment will be more diverse as their weight would have a direct effect on some of your abilities. But, like you said, I also prefer to keep things simple. I kind of imagine that your backpack screen would have a "[current weight] of [max weight]" and OVERBURDENED when too much weight, while your equip screen would also have a weight indicator, but maybe tell you how much your movement and defensive capabilities is decreased as a result of your equipment weight.

Hmmm... Maybe it's moving too much into RPG territory with values and modifiers and stuff...

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:45 PM »
... and then you could improve your strength and stamina by carrying more  stuff and being overburdened. So after a few years game-time, you're Conan!
(too much like X-Com?) :lol:

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:28:45 PM »
Haha, yeah, I remember doing that in X-Com! Forced exercise on the battlefield!

Anyway, I think I'll just have the overall weight affect your movement speed and that's it. So it doesn't matter if you have the stuff in your backpack or equipped. But I'll probably have a BURDENED flag that gradually increases the more weight you're carrying until you're OVERBURDENED and can't move at all. So, it could be that from 0-10 kilos, there's not effect, but from 10-100 kilos it'll gradually slow you more down. Now, if the best vest weighs 15 kilos and the helmet weighs 5, you'll already be burdened, and that's not counting your weapons. So if you're doing a quick hit and run assassination mission, you might choose to not wear the best protection in exchange for being able to run away quickly after the kill.

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.daniel.peranoranch.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
Sounds great to me! :D

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
Has anybody read "Bravo Two Zero"?
(about a SAS team dropped in the desert during the desert storm operation)

The stuff they had to carry was like insane! (more than 100 kg each I think) And then they walked from Baghdad to the Syrian border or something similar (read it a few years back, can't remember now).

Later, Andy McNab (the author) became a Hollywood instructor, and was involved in the awesome firefight in "Heat". Now THAT's a firefight that looks "real", no shooting from the hip, or that silly stuff. You can tell the actors/director got some help with setting that up.

Sorry for taking us/me off topic.

(the only actor that's allowed to shoot from the hip, is Arnold, because he rules!)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »
The sound design adds soooo much to that scene as well. Amazing movie.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
Yeah! And every time I see it, I always go: "What? is that Natalie Portman?"
I keep on forgetting she's in that movie.
(Like Drew Barrymore in ET:))

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
Yeah! And every time I see it, I always go: "What? is that Natalie Portman?"
I keep on forgetting she's in that movie.
(Like Drew Barrymore in ET:))

No way.... She was the Queen in the Star Wars prequels... so in that one she's a marine or something? Somehow I just can't quite picture that.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
She's the daughter of Al Pacino's cop.

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Mmmmhh, Drew Barrymore is soooo wonderful!
Retros tick me off!

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
Natalie Portman is like 14 years old in "Heat", and in "Leon" she's even younger plus she's the main character in that one. I don't care much for those new Star Wars movies. She's better in "Garden State" or "V for Vendetta", or "Beautiful Girls".
Mmmmhh, Drew Barrymore is soooo wonderful!

Man you're sick! She's like 3-4 years old in ET!  :no:  :lol:

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 06:04:06 AM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
She's the daughter of Al Pacino's cop.

Eh, well I've never seen that movie, so I have no idea who that is.

@Cthulhu: Yeah, I don't really like the new Star Wars movies that much either, although Jar Jar Binks was pretty hilarious.

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:37:50 PM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
Now, if the best vest weighs 15 kilos and the helmet weighs 5, you'll already be burdened, and that's not counting your weapons.

IMHO current wight of "bulletproof vests" is too high:
1) Kevlar Vest - 20 kg,
2) Titanium Vest - 35 kg,
3) NanoComp Vest - 10 kg.

Present "Outer Tactical Vest" (lest assume it's comparable to KV) has up to 5.5 kg (for XL) but with additional ballistic protection (front and back = 2x up to 4.0 kg) it could has max 13.5 kg (for XL) and it will be protection class IV. It's a "soft body armor". Well, with side protection it could has c.a. 20 kg... but with 2771 year technology it should has better protection and less wight.

Titanium Vest is "hard body armor" IMO and should look/act like... well, like those armors for "Colonial Marines" in "Aliens" movie. It should be heavier but not 35 kg.

If I understend CK correct NanoComp Vest should have similar (or even less) protection like Kevlar Vest and be lighter but for much more money. Hmm... I'm not sure about that idea. Well, maybe it'll be good for "undercover assassins". You know, heavy armored guy with pulse rifle in hand should look very suspicious for bodyguards. Maybe NCV should be Concealable Vest without groin protection (faster moving)? But until now I thought that NCV is very expensive because of better protection with little wight... :?

Advanced Combat Helmet has 1.4 kg only (not 10 kg like "Kevlar Helmet"!) and with ballistic faceshield is could has up to 2.4 kg.

BTW Woman player characters should have lighter vests ("small" size) and max wight up to 70-80 kg.

Hmm... Maybe... I propose to add new "body armor" equipment to protect arms and legs (especially from stabbing and cutting).
Genuine Lifelike Individual