Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Wingmen  (Read 9531 times)

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Wingmen
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:52 AM »
What exactly raises your reputation with wingmen? Simply hiring one?

I've been avoiding hiring them for a while now. At first because they were too expensive... these days I can afford it though. Don't know why I've been avoiding them this long. Could be helpful sometime... but they won't be if most of them are just Demons with lasers.

Funny story. I hired a Demon with a laser when I realized it was stupid to avoid cheap help when it'll be better for you in the long run. Anyways, he lasted quite a while, yet got exploded by a pirate attack. The wingman ejected so I gladly scooped him up. Later on I scooped up a pirate to kill. While we were fightin' I accidentally swung at my wingman because he and the pirate switched places and I wasn't paying attention. So... I now have an enslaved wingman... sad. Not only that... but I had to scoop up a Confed sometime before my wingman got blowed up. She started attacking me once I swung at the wingman. So now I also have a Confed slave, too. Really sad. It's slavery or death and I'm still unsure of which is worse.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
Re: Wingmen
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »
Possibly completing a mission with the wingman alive? Probably can't raise the reputation if he isn't alive to say you did good.
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:20:36 AM »
That's what I figured. I'm pretty sure enslavement doesn't count... :heh:

But if I didn't accidentally enslave him... it would make sense that a rescue might impress other wingmen.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
If the wingman comes out of the other side of the deal alive, your rep increases. It's that simple. If he dies, you get negative reputation (or decrease).

So when you scooped him up, he was red just like a pirate? That's unintuitive. Perhaps this should be posted in the Development/suggestions-section?

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
No. He was fine. Normal "OMG THANK U!".

When I scooped up a pirate... we were fighting. He switched places with the wingman. I wasn't paying attention... and swung at him. :heh:

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »
Colorblind much?  :lol:

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:07 AM »
I noticed it was him right after I swung. (Saw his name above his head) :heh:

First thought in my mind was, "DAMN IT!" :eeeee:

I don't like enslaving or killing friendlies... :no:

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »
Isn't that called "blue on blue"?
Think I saw a movie about that. perhaps Meg Ryan + Denzel?

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
That pertains mainly to that Confed though. He was paid to be on my side.

Next time... I want my guy to be in an Orion. Them pirates won't stand a chance. Gotta watch for them Gothris though. He might get kicked by 'em.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:20:03 AM »
Just hit Ctrl+W and order him to... "Run for your lives!"
Naw.
Are the Kilrathis that difficult? Surely two Orions won't have any trouble taking one out?

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
No, I can take them out easily. I'm more worried about wingmen. After all... I was blowin' up pirates with a Tarsus. He was flying a Demon, yet got exploded.

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I'm finding it impossible to protect a Tarsus. It's very hard to protect something that dies instantly. Maybe I need better wingmen...

EDIT: When do wingmen repair their ships? I just noticed my wingman's ship was repaired at some point.

EDIT2: Whoa... just fought like 10 pirates at the same time. That's a new record for me. I made a movie too.  :heh:

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »
I think a wingman's ship is automatically "repaired" when you go through a jump point and he follows you. As NPC ships currently aren't persistent in the game, the wingman's ship type is re-spawned when you enter into a new system. This is just one of the many inconsistencies I'm looking forward to fixing when I implement (somewhat more) persistent NPC ships in v0.7.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
YAY! v.7!!!

Off topic question. Is a save file from Windows compatible with Linux ASCII Sector?
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »
Save files from Windows, Mac and Linux should in theory all be compatible.