Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Trying to live free and use Linux =(  (Read 25352 times)

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to live free and use Linux =(
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 07:03:44 AM »
Yeah. You should check out DistroWatch.com if you want to get a grasp of how many distros there are....

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
Downgrading to 8.04 is not something I would recommend, that version is two years old, and soon to be discontinued.

As I've previously mentioned I use Debian. They have several versions, in different stages of development, namely:

Code: [Select]

Name:    Stage:  
-----    ------        
Lenny   (Stable)
Squeeze (testing)
Sid     (Unstable)
???     (Experimental)

Now Ubuntu is based on Debian, they take a snapshot of Debians "Testing" version (which is quite stable, despite the name) and develop that for 6 months and then release it as "karmic" or some other name. Debians definition of "stable" is very orthodox and strict, their testing version is often more stable than other Linux distributions definition of stable.

So if I were you I'd either download the upcoming Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, (It seems to be working quite nice already, a lot of people use it by now, and then just upgrade it over the net when the final version gets here, in 3 weeks.)
Or you could install Debian (testing, or stable), or just wait for the official 10.04 Ubuntu release.

No luck at all on the ubuntu forums?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Yeah I heard Debian is extremely stable. It's less user-friendly though.

I've come to the conclusion that the Linux world does not rise and set on *buntu. I've been researching different distros and some appear to be quite nice. Debian, for example. Though it allegedly requires more Linux knowledge. So, it's not my first choice. I've also heard good things about Mint, Mandriva, and OpenSUSE to name a few.

I heard the makers of OpenSUSE have some thing going on with Microsoft, however. Not sure what to think of that... :|

So what did you guys get on the quiz?

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:47 AM »
I got 100% Mandriva, Debian, and *buntu on that test. Which is a bit excessive.

It's less user-friendly though

perhaps 1% less so compared to Ubuntu.  I've used both, and the only difference I can come to think of is:
    -it doesn't have the "add/remove software"-option, you use Synaptic instead (or terminal)
    -it doesn't have a default "install system drivers", which automates the installation of propriety-nvidia-drivers.

Other than that, it's identical to Ubuntu, except "Firefox" is called "Iceweasel", but it's the exact same program. (the reason for this being Debians fundamentalistic approach to non-free software. Apparently the Mozilla fox isn't "free", so it was replaced with some polar creature.)

(after installation you can manually install dvd-encryption, mp3-support, flash, Sun Java, and other non-free applications, just as you would in Ubuntu. Linux Mint is exactly Ubuntu + these packages, as I've understood it. You even install everything through the Ubuntu repository.)

EDIT: Wow, I just played Starcraft on wine, ran perfectly, without having to move/copy stupid *.dll files amongst folders as might be common when using Wine.
Most excellent.

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
Yeah, I think that quiz is pretty much crap.

TOO MANY DISTROS!!! Too many... :pinch:  :eeeee:

I'll definitely try Debian. I realize that "user-friendly" can mean one thing to a person... and something totally different to another. I just figure with my experience (read "none") with Linux, I should go for something rated as "user-friendly" first. I DO want something that's stable and something that doesn't make me want to sick Domo-kun on little kitties. More research. It is required.

Yeah, I read about that Ice Weasel stuff in a review for Debian. I didn't know going on Mozilla's site and downloading one of their free programs was pirating though... bastards are trapping us I guess. :eeeee:

Not that I care. I'd see what Ice Weasel is all about... then install Opera.  :eeeee:

That's cool. I've always wanted to play Star Craft. Too bad it costs money...  :no:  :eeeee:

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Mozilla is free of charge, as in not costing money, but the logo is a trademark, and some how does not fulfill the GNU license, so Debian replaced the logo and changed the name of the binary file, (that just runs the firefox-bin program anyway. )
+ Mozilla requires that all changes made "downstream" in their code must be approved by them before the downstream people get to call it "firefox"

But I must say, Debian Stable is almost a bit boring. If you install the "testing" version, that is continuously updated.

I just read on-line that the Ubuntu 10.04 is still suffering from some bugs, a lot has to do with the new "theme" (Plymouth) they're using.

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
I think Canonical updates too fast. That's just my opinion though.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »
Ok that will be something to look into. And Starcraft is awesome! if a bit taxing and frustrating at times.
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
@cthulhu: no, still no luck in the forums... I might just wait for 10.04, but don't I have to wipe 9.10 from the system and install fresh?
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »
I notice that Debian having older software (Such as, an earlier version of OpenOffice) might be a thing with some reviews. Can't you just put newer and/or different stuff on Debian or Ubuntu or any distro? I know it's nifty to have lots of software downloadable through a software manager... but I'm used to the surf-the-internet-for-your-software concept. So it wouldn't phase me to download a newer program from an alternative source. Surely Debian can handle the newer OpenOffice, etc. I don't know... I'm probably reading more into this than I should be. It's hard to tell where the user-friendly-laziness ends and begins.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 01:07:24 AM »
Far as I know and what I've been told in irc.chat. You can't paste over. Gotta wipe and start over, unless I'm wrong. Anyone?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 01:16:45 AM »
I think you can update to a newer version, but it's always recommended on the forums to do a fresh install.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »
Hey CK!, Any idea how to update? Cause all I've heard is wipe and install fresh. I'm liking Linux so far aside from the inability to use my dvd-rw drive. compiz is really cool and I like the matrix screensaver... Just wish one problem didn't pop up after the other.... :'(

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 02:04:17 AM »
I'm not sure as I've never done it myself, but imagine it would be done through the automatic updater? But maybe that only works when 10.04 is final?

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 02:33:38 AM »
Hmmm, I'll just have to keep Linux there then I guess.

SIDE NOTE:
Ya know, it'd be cool to take my Pegasus to Denmark to have a beer/tea/soda, with this fine game's creator. And chat abt stuff. Lol