Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Asciisec.exe (but mostly Linux)  (Read 25319 times)

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Asciisec.exe (but mostly Linux)
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »
I don't know where to post this. I'll just post this here...

Any particular reason why this file (Ascii.exe) tried to connect to the internet? I noticed my connection failed at the time... so... maybe it was a fluke?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Asciisec.exe
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
Must have been a coincidence. I don't even know how to program an internet connection.

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
I guess so. I virus checked it just to make sure it didn't get infected by something I might have done. I already sent the "install" zip to VirusTotal in the first place. So, I was wondering what I could have done. Hasn't happened again.

Don't ya just love firewalls?  :eeeee:

I've read Linux virtually doesn't require anti-virus or defragging. I'm thinking of trying Linux out... but... what the hell am I going to do without virus scanning and defragging? I feel like I'm DOING something when I run those things...  :heh:

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
As much as I like Windows XP and use it for most of my computer work, I always smile a little inside every time I fire up Ubuntu or Xubuntu and the desktop is ready almost right away. No need to wait for the harddisk to stop spinning or Avast to stop updating.

If you want to try out Linux, start with the Ubuntu live CD. That will allow you to run the OS from the CD without installing anything. It will be a bit slower, of course, but you can get a feel for it that way.

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »
I actually tried that, except I used usb instead, but I couldn't get the internet connection to work. I'll have to try it more, because I really didn't do much with it. I also need to figure out which shell looks and feels more like Windows (I'm used to the 98 look... so the first thing I did when I got XP was change the theme to classic). I dislike really fancy graphics (with the exception of video games).

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:29:53 AM »
Ah this old chestnut... I remember Cthulhu, you (CK), Flyboy and I were talking abt Xubuntu. Once I got my new laptop I was able to install Xubuntu, but I was unable to connect to the internet so I took it off... So if I can figure out how to connect and all that I might go back to dual-booting.
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »
I DO know that Linux based anti-virus boot CDs require regular LAN. They don't support wireless LAN (which sucks for me, because I don't have a LAN cable... There goes SARDU right out the window...). I think I saw an option for wireless in the live CD though... so I don't know what to do beyond that.

Next time I try Ubuntu, I'm definitely going to try Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 03:16:32 AM »
Yeah I have a wireless modem (not by choice, the roommate wants to use my Internet access) and the fact that LINUX is more user based means I have to learn some more things abt my laptop and whatnot...
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:05:58 AM »
I think I figured out the problem. For me anyways...

Found this quote on www.linuxforums.org, which I found through Google.

What I'm really interested is if anyone has tried any with Linux and if so what where the results.

My understanding is that currently there are *no* 802.11g style cards that will work under Linux (or *BSD) as they are all using the Broadcom chipset and Broadcom have not released any drivers, or information on how to write a driver, to the open source community.

As an extra problem, apparently some 802.11b manufacturers are starting to use Broadcom chipsets on their 802.11b cards with no changes to the external packaging, so if you happen to pick one of these up by accident and want to use it under Linux then you're stuffed.  

Chris

IEEE 802.11g is what I have... :no:

It's a very old (2003) post... but maybe it still applies? :|

Here's a link to the thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/3330-wireless-adapters-linux-802-11g-b.html

EDIT: Nevermind... it seems that was the past. This link shows a guy who did connect with a IEEE 802.1g card... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=518108

I don't know WHAT my problem is then....  :no:

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:16:10 AM »
Yeah if I could connect with my belkin g wireless router I would go back to dual boot. But then how does Xubuntu help me?

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:32:36 AM »
No idea... I'm just lookin' for something that isn't Microsoft.  :eeeee:  :heh:

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 04:54:45 AM »
Yeah I can hear ya that sometimes...

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 06:28:16 AM »
I don't want a Mac either. I'm bias though. I admit it.  :eeeee:

EDIT: I just read some things about Mac. I don't think I'll get it for sure....  :eeeee:

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »
I was raised on IBM. Proudly  :eeeee: even if its accident prone I'm still an IBM/PC

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
I was raised on PC too. I knew how to do things with DOS when even adults still thought it was a magic box.  8)

I think some still do though.... :heh:

I don't remember knowing anything about the hardware though... Just them old Apogee games!  :eeeee: